Saturday, June 23, 2012

Ordering, Sarajevo, and Weddings!

To say that I'm feeling a bit more chipper than a few days ago would be a serious understatement! The past four days have been amazing and I am really thankful for all of the experiences I am getting to have during my time here in Bosnia. I'm left feeling selfish and somewhat embarrassed. My entire view on missions has changed in such a short period of time, and I think that the revelations were really wearing me out. The places I have the most ministry experience are all very charismatic and open to spiritual subjects. So, I just had to put it in my mind that Bosnia is WAY different than anywhere I have ever visited and just sit back and learn from they way that they live.

Something that doesn't seem too exciting but was a big deal to me was ordering a meal at a restaurant all by myself. First, I was given a list of take-out orders and my team sent me and another intern (who also does not speak Bosnian) over to the restaurant down the hill from our house. When we got there, I ordered the first thing on the list but the waitress asked for the paper (clearly I was struggling haha). BUT the big victory came that night when we went out for dinner downtown. Beth and Will (some of the members of the missionary family we are working with) helped me practice how to order the meal I wanted. When it came time, I said what I wanted to eat and drink... and he understood me :D It was an awesome feeling even if it was just a simple food order.

Yesterday, my team got to go spend some time in Bosnia's capital, Sarajevo. What an awesome city! There is so much history here that affected us all. One of the coolest things for me as a history nerd was walking across the bridge where Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. Our team also got to go into a few museums: One about the history of Sarajevo, one about the influence of the Ottoman Empire on the country, and one about the Siege of Sarajevo. The Siege museum was hard to walk through at times. It's hard to believe that such a brutal war went on, and I never learned about it at all growing up. I guess it did happen when I was just a baby but it's strange to me that we didn't learn about it in school. Anyway, it was an amazing day and I learned a lot about the country that I'm living in for the next 5 weeks.

Today was the most fun I've had here so far. Our team was invited to a wedding by one of the families we will be working with this summer. First, we ate... a lot. So much. So much that I thought I was going to bust! Then, we ate cake (you had to pay 10 km per person) and drank coffee. After all of the food stuff was out of the way, we danced!!! It was so much fun, but we were all really bad at it. The first time we tried, the group that we were dancing with broke up and went into another group... I guess we were embarrassingly bad. We kept trying and we actually got the hang of it! I danced in a group where I was the only one who spoke English. I felt pretty nervous at first but the little girl standing next to me keep telling me (in what little Bosnian I know) that I was doing "good" and sometimes she even said "super!" She was a precious little girl with a club foot that was dancing her heart out. At the end of the dance, she patted my arm and smiled. I loved EVERYTHING about today!

Sorry, I know this is a very long post but so many great things have happened in the past few days and I really wanted to share it all! I hope all is well wherever you are and thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment